Friday, October 23, 2009

Secrets

I have noticed an increase in claims of secrets being disclosed in magazines, on the internet and in adverts. Walking past the magazines in a local bookshop I notice the following – 10 Secrets to taking great pictures, The secret to happiness, The secret to better health, etc. etc.

It seems that everybody writing anything has some or other secret to disclose. I wonder about these secrets. For instance the 10 secrets to taking great pictures turn out to be 10 tips on handling a DSLR camera. I wonder – Why does the camera manufacturers keep these things secret, surely publishing them will improve camera sales, How did the writer discover these secrets, etc. The 10 secrets are fairly well known techniques commonly used. Maybe they were secret to the writer or maybe the writer does have a secret. Not to taking great pictures but to getting people to buy the magazine to once again read stuff that they have read before. Now I have also discovered a new secret. The secret of publishing common knowledge as being secret.


I think I should publish the five secrets to living longer. If they don’t work you will not be around to come and harass me. Hey, I have just discovered another secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment